First documentary evidence of Maierhofen dates back to around 1187, cited by the monastery in Prüfening (Kloster Prüfening). Schloss Maierhofen’s history is closely linked to that of Bavaria and the Wittelsbacher family. During the reign of Duke Herzog, the Wittelsbacher family seat was in Kelheim. Later it was moved to Munich.
The first documented reference to the Maierhofen family dates back to 1275. Documents show that at first a smaller castle stood where Schloss Maierhofen now stands. There is no documented evidence of when or how the later Maierhofen estate was taken over by the Wittelsbacher family. By the 14th century at the latest, the estate had become a Bavarian fiefdom.
EARLY MODERN ERA
THE CASTLE IS BUILT:
The castle chapel St. Laurentius, later renamed St. Sebastian, was built as early as 1593. The chapel belongs to the parish of Painten to this very day. The castle, Schloss Maierhofen as we know it, was built in the years 1596 to 1601.
During the 30-years war (1618 to 1648) Schloss Maierhofen was destroyed by both Swedish and Bavarian troops. After the war, the monastery in Pfüfening (Kloster Prüfening) sold the estate. In the following years the estate changed hands a few more times.
In 1691 electoral prince Max II Emmanuel (Kurfürst Max II Emmanuel) bought back the estate and gifted it to his chief builder Henrico Zucalli “in appreciation for his outstanding services”. (Buildings such as the Theatiner church in Munich (Theatinerkirche) and the Nymphenburger and Schleißheimer palaces in Munich are among his works.) Zucalli’s heirs sold the estate to the von Fabris family in 1781.
TROOPS, EARTHENWARE, FARM:
During the Napoleonic wars, Schloss Maierhofen was downgraded and used as barracks. By the end of the war the estate was deeply in debt and the last aristocrat to own the estate, Sabine von Fabris, was obliged to sell the estate in 1820. The Hussl family lived in Schloss Maierhofen from 1831 to 1897 while running a successful earthenware factory nearby.
At the beginning of the 20th century, after changing hands a few more times, the estate Schloss Maierhofen was being run as a farm. In 1939 the artist Knaus bought the run-down estate. His wife Hermine lived alone in Schloss Maierhofen until 1980. By then the castle was in very bad repair.
From 1981 to 1986 the entrepreneurs and married couple Gerhild and Hans-Peter Anderl from Munich spent a great deal of effort and money renovating the estate, thereby ensuring the estate’s continued existence and saving it from complete ruin. Outbuildings were erected and a baroque garden was created. Mrs. Anderl lived on the estate until after the turn of the century.
From 2003 to 2018 the estate Maierhofen was used as a business school for family run businesses.
Today, the beautifully restored and furnished Schloss Maierhofen and its extensive grounds are lovingly cared for and are available as a magnificent location for weddings and celebrations.